- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Site: https://sungo.wtf
- Code: https://git.sungo.wtf
- Github: https://github.com/sungo
Note: I am only interested in remote-only opportunities. I will not relocate.
I am what we now call a Site Reliability Engineer with over 20 years of industry experience, ranging from small single system environments to large scale systems involving thousands of servers.
I have extensive development experience, mostly in an operational automation context, as well as systems administration and maintenance. I've been on-call for most of my career and have experience managing incidents and drafting blameless post-mortem analyses.
I have lots of experience in architecture and design, including gathering stakeholder requirements, drafting requirements documents, and carrying them through implementation and production deployment.
In any job, I am looking for the usual challenging work and good diverse people to work with. I need remote-only work with a highly communicative team that is willing to use text chat and video conferencing.
I am not interested in management roles.
Oct 2017 – Present
Smart Datacenter build automation with Perl and Go
July 2017 – October 2017
Time Warner Cable
Mar 2010 – May 2017
Software engineering, architecture, and design for systems automation and monitoring for video-on-demand backend systems, including requirements gathering, detailed design specifications, and stakeholder communication.
Extensive on-call responsibilities, including incident management and authorship of post-mortem analyses.
Architecture / Engineering
- Architected and led the implementation of IP-based live video distribution for the TWCTV iPad app, versions 1 and 2. The application was subsequently awarded an Emmy Engineering Certificate
- Architected and implemented automation for video-on-demand content intake, transcoding, and distribution. This self-healing system handled over a thousand TV shows, movies, and advertisements daily with little to no human intervention
- Architected and implemented automation for content metadata (title, description, ratings, artwork, etc) improvement
- Workflow and systems automation using Ruby
- Monitoring UIs in Splunk
YouPorn / MidStream Media
May 2009 – Feb 2010
Web application development in Perl. Systems programming and automation in Perl and Bash, mostly on Debian Linux
Dec 2007 – Mar 2009
Feb 2003 – Oct 2007
- Developed cross-platform server and network monitoring system in Perl and C, backed by PostgreSQL
- Developed monitoring dashboards in Perl, via mod_perl
- Significant deployments of Linux (RHEL), with custom orchestration software
Dec 2001 – Feb 2003
The Creative Group
May 2000 – Dec 2001
- 1996 – 2000: Bachelors Degree